Care to explain a little bit more?
just got confimation ... new points system enacted this week due to some "unhappines" with the BDD boys 3-way tie for last place.
NEW scoring for placing AND for settling ties, which will use the PGA method of pooling and dividing evenly, which gives the BDD quite an advantage. Check tomorrows paper for more details.
Isn't there an old saying - be careful what you wish for; you just might get it ???
Care to explain a little bit more?
[img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]
Doesn't the Cumberland get hurt due to having the largest district too?
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
can't explain what I don't know -
and it seems that way. If ppl would actual sit down with a couple of scenarios whenever thay put in a point system and see what's going to happen, they wouldn't be complaining about it and changing it at the last minute. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - they vote for it then cry foul (pun intended) when they get caught in the crosshairs.
I know what you mean. This is a mess.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
It's a lot like a person that makes a post on a message board without knowing the facts first!
The whole issue revolved around the girls bracket. Apparently, the powers that be in the Cumberland District, which had 3, count 'em three, members on the realignment committee, more than any other district, didn't like the scenario that put Council girls in the playoffs. They argued because Twin Springs and Rye Cove finished tied and one of them would be out of the region D tournament. Their argument was that one of the squads, I think it was Twin Springs, defeated Council twice but would be at home while Council was in the playoffs.
The argument could be made in another area as well, Council girls defeated another team from the LPD twice, which would have had a higher seed than Council. Council and the BDD however did not complain.
Council finished 4 and 4 in district play while Twin Springs finished 6 and 6. The Cumberland argument went like this "We won two more games in District play than Council did in their district play." The obvious reply from Council could have been, but wasn't, "you also lost TWO games more than we did in district play." The fact remains 4 and 4 is .500 ball, and 6 and 6 is .500 ball. The Cumberland District in this case is the SQUEAKY WHEEL. The change that was made is as follows.
1. Previously points were awarded for first place in each district (16)
2. Second place in each district (12)
3. Third place in each district (9)
4. Fourth place in each district (7)
5. Fifth, sixth and seventh place (4)
The new change will make all fourth place teams included in scenario #5 above. Now each fourth place team will receive the same amount of points as the 5th, 6th and 7th. This change, while it may benefit both Rye Cove and Twin Springs girls, added another BDD team to the foray in the Boys division.
The BDD DID NOT COME UP WITH THIS CHANGE NOR DID IT SUPPORT CHANGING HORSES IN MID-STREAM.
The actions of the Cumberland brought this on and in doing so and the committee voted to accept the change now instead of next year, the BDD boys as a result will now get another team into the regionals.
I don't have a copy of the minutes of the meeting in front of me, but I do know for a fact that the BDD VOTED AN EMPHATIC "NO." ON THE proposed rule change.
The BDD did support reviewing and changing the situation NEXT YEAR, BUT NOT NOW, not in mid-stream.
IN closing, if anyone wants to argue about 4 Division 1 BDD teams qualifying for regionals, in the boys bracket, then they should thank the CUMBERLAND DISTRICT FOR CREATING THIS FIASCO. By swindling to get another one of their girls teams in they may have knocked a boys team from the LPD or the Cumberland OUT.
By the way HAYSI girls finished fourth in the BDD and they aren't complaining because they ran the table against 2 LPD teams that are seeded higher. This is basically the same scenario that TS and Cove were making.
nuff said!
Why would the Cumberland officials do something as you say creating a problem for themselves and helping the BDD and then you be complaining about it?
Twin Springs didn't finish 6-6, they finished 7-5 in district play if you knew the facts.
Since you do have the answers, how are the points figured for the district tourney, because thats another odd situation.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
Regardless of my ERROR on their record, the facts as stated above are correct. Without realizing what they were doing, they voted for the change and the Clinch Mtn. may also have hurt themselves by going along with them.
The BDD DID NOT, BRING THIS ABOUT, IT WAS THE CUMBERLAND DISTRICT AND I WILL CONFIRM THIS WITH THE MOST ABSOLUTE OF CERTAINTIES!
I am not complaining about the finished result. I am upset that they made the change mid stream. I am also defending the BDD, because many LPD and Cumberland folks will make this out to be a BDD issue as was in the original post.
"By the way HAYSI girls finished fourth in the BDD and they aren't complaining because they ran the table against 2 LPD teams that are seeded higher. This is basically the same scenario that TS and Cove were making."
Who did haysi girls run the table against?
"To be the man, you've got to beat the man."
Didn't TS also finish tied with TW instead of Rye Cove?
Bookmarks